In honor of my Mother, Betty, who taught all of her 6 children
to love reading and writing at an early age.
The Betty Award has both
a Spring & Fall
Enter now for the
Spring 2017 contest! The
for the Spring entries
May 6, 2017.
AND THE FALL 2016 WINNERS ARE …
First Place: Emily Ng, Age 12
Second Place: Natalie Hii, Age 10
Stage Fright Trouble
San Jose, CA
Third Place: Aiden Rodriguez, Age 7.5
The Light Blue Baloon
Mission Viejo, CA
Honorable Mention: Jacquiline Schmeizl, Age 10
The Mystical Universe of Books
Honorable Mention: Oksana Barron, Age 10
The Great Battle
How to Enter the Writing Contest:
Simply download The
Betty Award Entry Form, type your story and mail it to us with
the Reading Fee.
Deadline for Spring 2017 Entries:
All entries must be postmarked no later than May 6, 2017. Winners will
be notified by June 15, 2017.
Winning Spring 2017 entries will be published on this website
after June 15, 2017.
There is a $15 US reading fee per story.
Please make check or money order payable to
The Betty Award.
- Stories must be submitted on the attached form.
- Entries must be typed and in English.
- Maximum story length is 1000 words.
- Contest is open to all children, worldwide, ages 8-12.
- Entries must be the original unpublished work of the child entering the contest.
- Stories will not be returned.
- More than one entry per child is allowed (be sure to include the
$15 reading fee for each story submitted).
- Entries are automatically disqualified if a reading fee check is
returned for insufficient funds.
Mail Entries & Reading Fee To:
The Betty Award
P.O. Box 1826
Oak Park, IL 60304
Many thanks to Public Communications, Inc. who assisted with the judging of the Fall 2016 contest.